Saturday, January 30, 2010

Let the fun begin..

and the waiting is over. We peaked this morning. So now we kick into high gear!

I generally ovulate the night after I have a morning peak so we are doing one insemination today mid-morning and one tonight. Now I know that Dr. Google is not always the best source of reliable information, but being as this is our first IUI and our first experience with the frozen stuff, I did a little "background" internet research, and found that frozen IUI sperm can only live 6-8 hours in the uterus? Can that be right? Thats a pretty narrow window! I think i've heard up to 72 hours..any fun facts from the blogworld to confirm/disprove?

5 comments:

  1. I wish I did, but I have no contrary information regarding the lifespan of frozen sperm. What I seem to remember is that insemination must be within 6 hours before or after ovulation. That's why timing is so critical.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our OBGYN told us the same thing, that they only live for about 6 - 8 hours but "can" live for up to 12 or even 24 hours. I'm not sure what to believe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our RE said they "think" its 6-12 hours for the frozen stuff. However, he also said that they don't have any concrete evidence. Good luck to you on your first IUI!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe Stephanie Brill, and she says that IUI frozen sperm lasts up to 8 hours and ICI frozen sperm lasts up to 24 hours. Fresh sperm can last up to 72 hours.

    Good luck on your first IUI. Can't wait to read all about your BFP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may have heard "up to 72 hours" from my nurse via my blog...and that just goes to show you that a nurse working at the Fancy Fertility Factory very well might have no idea what she's talking about. Every other source I know about agrees with the majority vote here: 6-12 hours on average, "up to" 24 hours. Yup.

    ReplyDelete