Sunday, January 3, 2010

....and now some housekeeping

I have always considered myself to be relatively tech-savvy, but blogging is completely new to me and for some reason I can not for the life of me figure out how everyone seems to create those 'About Us' or 'Timeline' pages. After a pretty comprehensive search of the 'gadgets' -- I give up and am going to simply post it here!

Yesterday W "suggested" that I had to provide some sort of timeline of our TTC process. This is somewhat of a sticky conversation in our house, as I only like to "count" the months when we actually did a viable insem, while W likes to count all intervening months from Try #1. Anyways, to take a step back, here is a brief overview of us and our TTC journey.

2005 - W and E meet in Berkeley while E is a grad student and W is a teacher

2007 - W and E head back east for a few years while W gets her doctorate - E agrees to 6 years MAX of snowy boston winters but they spend about 1-2 months each year in the Bay visiting friends/family and for E's work -- ah the academic schedule.

Early 2008 - W and E start talking seriously about babies and after checking out every book in the Minuteman library on adoption, gay parenting and fertility decide E will try to carry a kid.

Mid 2008 - W and E approach KD over many glasses of wine and ask him to 'think about it' for several months.

Early 2009 - W and E and KD decide to give it a try, discuss emotional and legal issues and draft up an agreement.

Mid 2009 - W and E have a wedding ceremony out at the beach in CA and get legally married along the Charles in MA.

August 2009 - Our first attempt: LA#1 It was hilarious and pretty frustrating (thats a story for another post). Live from the Bay Area....and ended in a prolonged BFN.

September 2009: AT(At Home)#1.5 - BD flys to Boston, but misses ovulation by a day. We inseminate anyways, not surprisingly BFN.

October 2009: AT #2.5 - E flys out to Bay Area for several insems, W does the final one and despite 101 lucky pennies, power-animal sightings and other auspicious events, it ends in BFN.

Novemeber 2009 - We were set to ovulate on Thanksgiving making this month impossible, so we take it off, drink red wine like crazy and go running. It was glorious!

Mid November 2009 - We realize that flying back and forth across the country is not sustainable if we are in this for the long haul so we send KD to PRS for battery of poking and prodding and donatation so we can ship and do IUIs at home in Boston.

December 2009: AT #3.5 - Live from the Bay Area just after Christmas...and another eventful (ha!) BFN.

January/February 2010: IUI#1 - Moving on to an IUI, meet with S, our _fantastic_ mid-wife and get ready for the logistics of an IUI..BFN

February/March 2010 - IUI #2, started taking HCG to fix a short luteal phase -- but it ended up delaying my P for an extra week. Grrr...BFN

April 2010 - IUI #3, still on HCG so I had a 15 day lutial phase, but it ended in BFN :(

May 2010 - We began to explore IVF at the local FFF. In the meantime, we did a 'live' insemination (AT#4.5) on Mother's Day with little-to-no fanfair..and SURPRISE it ended in a BFP!

Due date is 2/2/11

5 comments:

  1. Hi. I just stumbled upon your blog. We just started our TTC, too. Here's hoping to short journeys down this path!

    Regarding the static pages, Blogger doesn't support them. Most of those people have Wordpress blogs. I did find some posts on a way around it that I am using, but it requires getting into the html.

    Here's a link to start with, if you're interested: http://technicallyeasy.net/2008/04/how-to-create-static-like-pages-in/

    This guy has a bunch of other pages on using Blogger, too. I was considering Wordpress or Typepad, but I ended up staying with Blogger because (A) I already have a Gmail account and (B) I like that you can do a lot with the layout/design of the blog using the free server. For the others, you have to upgrade to pay service to make your blog look like your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog when we started doing our TTC research a few months ago. Sorry for all the lurking, but thanks so much for sharing your story so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across your blog! What a journey and now your 8 weeks. Encouraging! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across your blog and I'm so excited to read that it worked for you guys!! My partner and myself are TTC also, so wish us luck as we try to this month...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, new commenter, old reader. =)

    I just wanted to tell you how to add the "pages" to your blog. Go into the gadget section and select "add gadget" it should pop open a window with a bunch of fun things to add onto your blog. Simply select "pages" and poof! You've got pages on top of your blog. When you want to write in them you'll find them right next to where you post a regular blog. Insead of write a post you'll just click "edit page" (i think).. Have fun!

    Sorry to be sooo late, but better late than never. Congrats on the pregnancy! =)

    ReplyDelete