Updated betas are in! 2711! Blood was taken on Tuesday, which we _think_ is DPO 23, but not 100% sure. Regardless, thats 32.02 doubling time, which we feel pretty great about! Go baby go...(on a side note, we have been trying to come up with a cute/creative name for this little thing growing inside of me -- in the past, we have often been the ones to nickname our friends unborn babies, but when its our own, its hard...We are temporary floating the idea of Filipo, as that is the name of the restaurant where we had the, um..sperm incident :)
Similar to our approach to GETTING pregnant, we are pretty much obsessed with reading every scrap of research on STAYING pregnant. So...what are your favorite books on pregnancy? I think a couple of months ago Team Figboiler put together a great list (all of which have been checked out from the library), but are there others who want to weigh-in? If so, let me know!
W and I are both kicking off a weekend of conferences today. I'm headed down to St. Louis (where Ive never been!!) tonight. W has a double header, one locally tomorrow and then she scrambles to the airport to catch the last flight out to Dayton, OH of all places, for her session on Sat....woohoo! Midwest here we come!
Lastly, Id love to get a bit of feedback/advice on the whole "telling our parents thing". My parents happen to be in town this weekend for a family-friend's graduation. They live in DC, and we talk daily, but we probably wont see them again in-person until mid-August. W's parents live less than a mile away so we see them pretty much every week. I love the idea of telling our parents together, and it will be hard to keep it from W's parents for that long...we had some hurt feelings about who heard first when we announced our engagement SO...do you think it is too soon to tell them all this Sunday over dinner? The superstitious-ness in me, thinks it is WAY too early, but I don't know when we will all be together again until Thanksgiving! Both sets of parents definitely suspect what is going on, and will be thrilled, but will probably also have a lot of questions. Despite all of that, I still love the thought of them being a part of this with us, and I am not sure how much longer we can hold out....Thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I told my parents from the beginning of our IVF cycle, and I caused some unnecessary worry when I had to report my low beta and tell them not to get too excited. While I wish I had been able to spare them that worry, I'm really glad to have been able to share this whole thing with them early. My thoughts - you have to be willing for them to hear unpleasant news if it happens, but knock on wood nothing will happen, and it's really nice to be able to share it together and to have your loved ones be excited right now. And it sounds like your betas are doubling GREAT! Yay!!!
ReplyDeleteWoot woot go baby go! Telling the parents is totally a personal choice. I'm glad I told my parents early, even though it didn't stick. We're very close, so this wasn't a hard decision. If you want to tell them, tell them. Here's to those betas doubling! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteGREAT betas! Congratualtions!
ReplyDeleteI had the same dilemma: my parents were in town when I was about 7 weeks, but I thought it was too early to tell even though I ended up having to fess up over e-mail when my mother asked me outright a couple of weeks later. (And they had NO IDEA that we were doing ANYTHING at the time.) I would have liked to tell them in person, but because we are not close, I am kind of glad they got to have their reactions without me observing. It would have been too nerve-racking for me if there was anything but pure positivity (and tehre was.)
If you are close to your parents and now is a good time, then it is totally up to you if you feel it is too early or not. I knew that if I miscarried I would NOT want to discuss it with them-- that was how I decided against telling them. BUt it sounds like you have a lot closer relationships with your families...
Either way, good luck!
I personally think "Filipo" is a bit gendered for now, but that of course is your call, too.
I think the best piece of advice I've come across on the "who to tell when" issue (which we've also wrestled with), is (at least for the first trimester, since eventually it will become obvious) to only tell the people you would want to tell if you miscarried. And that's really a personal choice. I honestly don't think there's one right or wrong answer, just what y'all feel comfortable with.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny, because I think looking at it this way has reigned my wife in a little as far as telling people (she's generally more open about things than I am), and has made me a little more willing to tell. I realized that while I would maybe have waited a little longer to tell our families if it were strictly my call, yes I would tell them if we miscarried. So yes, it was okay to tell them now.
If you're like us, though, you might just want to ask your families not to spread the word yet, since having your mom know and having all your aunts/uncles/cousins/mom's co-workers/etc. know are two entirely separate things. But if you're both comfortable with it, and want to tell them all together, I would say go for it. (With the attached caveats, of course.)
I really like the advice of only telling people you'd be comfortable discussing a miscarriage with. There are a few people I can't imagine not telling, but they are also the women who carry me through my life. My parents are not on that list, but if yours are go ahead and share the good news with them.
ReplyDeleteSt. Louis, by the way, is not a place to cheer about. It generally makes me shudder, but I hope your experience is better than mine.
From a 'what would I know about pregnancy?' point of view - yep, if it is going to make all involved happy, then break the news! Everyone else is right - if *god forbid* the worst did happen ... then would you tell your parents then?
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your numbers!!
M
i tell my parents everything, because otherwise they only end up hearing about things when they go badly and upset me. this pretty much falls into the "miscarriage support" rule above -- for me, my mom is definitely on that list.
ReplyDeletesugar doesn't feel the same way. we end up giving her parents the broad strokes, so they don't feel totally cut off/competitive with my parents, but only the broad strokes. i'd probably end up telling them more if it was just my decision, but sugar is less of an over-sharer....
Sorry I'm so late in the game on the congrats front! Wowee wow, so happy for you guys. :) Your beta numbers look awesome! I'd advocate waiting a bit to tell people, but I'm pretty superstitious about that. Anyway, many congrats again. Keep us posted. :)
ReplyDelete