We got another somewhat disturbing email from Dr. G last night -- I realize its good not to get over-excited, but his pessimism / debbie-downerism is really hard for our totally-obsessive, prone-to-conservate-so-as-not-to-jinx-it thinking, so even thought its earlier than we had wanted to "transition", we are starting the process of finding an OB/hospital. Mainly, so we can get a second opinion before we head out to CA for the month of July.
I have my heart set on a midwives practice, and we are lucky that there are 3 great ones in the Cambridge/Boston area. The "best" is at one of the well-known downtown hospitals where other friends have delivered and love it, but I was hoping to find someone on our side of the river (as traffic notoriously stresses me out!), so we will visit the 2 "local" practices and make our decision. Anyone have good/bad experiences/stories with either Mt. Auburn or Cambridge Hospital's birth centers? Any other in the area you would suggest we look into?
Feeling MUCH more relieved but would love to get another doc's opinion before we totally calm down.
That's fab. As for Dr. Downer, my RE practice didn't even measure betas above 5,000 so I wonder how big a deal it is after a certain point...Anyway, here's hoping all continues to go beautifully.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I just went on betabase, and found this: for a beta range of 8192 - 16384, average doubling time was 61.20; fastest: 17.66...and slowest: 19557.84...If nothing else this underscores the VAST variability of beta doubling times.
ReplyDeleteTry not to worry too much, and keep us posted!
HA! EXACTLY. We finally got up the courage to call our friend the OB today and she indicated that NO ONE should look at HCG after 2500 because Penn (where she is) basically wrote the book on HCG trends and even they say the stats are unrelyable after that point..BLAH..So there, Dr. G(rumpy)
ReplyDeleteThat's exactly what I thought about betas. They won't do them after a certain date at our IVF clinic either, and I'm pretty sure 6 weeks was when they stop doing bloods and start doing u/s instead. I think you are FINE.
ReplyDeleteI am currently at B&W (is that the one you're talking about?) and we are seriously thinking about switching to Mt. Auburn, which we have only heard VERY good things about. The only reason we decided against it is because we didn't want to cross the river, but I have not been that psyched about my care at B&W since my test results episode (I had to call 4 times to get them before someone finally called me back and feel generally like a number sometimes - even more than I did at the Factory). We are going to visit Mt. Auburn soon and I will report in. I do like B&W for a lot of reasons, though. A good friend has given birth twice at the Cambridge Birthing Center and had a great experience there as well (once had to go across the street to the hospital and get epidural, once gave birth in the center naturally). Curious to hear what you find out...
YUP! Those are the 3 we are looking into. Ive heard only FANTASTIC things about Mt. Auburn so right now that is our first choice -- but we will visit all 3. A friend recently needed to have a C-section and was happy she was at B+W for it. I think if it comes to surgery, B+W is really top notch. Anyways, would love to swap stories/impressions after your visit to Mt. As
ReplyDeleteAww, that's the cutest little peanut ever! I envy your myriad of choices! I think, hypothetically, if it were me I'd go with the place I felt more comfortable and not the place with the shortest drive. I don't think driving in labor is any picnic, but IMO it would be worth it to find the best place. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteCute pics!! How exciting!! It's great being a few weeks behind you in the pregnancy process -- you can be my "expert"....HA! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat an insane roller coaster your RE is putting you through! At this point I think it is the embryonic growth and heartbeat that count for more in terms of viability. We had great experiences with Beth Hardiman at Mt Auburn.
ReplyDelete