Sunday, June 13, 2010

Worry and Disappointment

I don't want to be one of those people who obsesses about getting pregnant and then when she finally does spends her whole pregnancy a nervous wreck, BUT yesterday we got a message from Dr. G. "Ms. E, I am sorry to report that your HCG numbers are faltering, which is generally a sign of impending miscarriage. Please call me on Monday to make an ultrasound appointment to see if the embryo has survived" -- pretty dramatic turn around after his little "everything is a-ok from the looks of the ultrasound" stance on Wednesday....

Not surprisingly, this basically threw W and I into a complete panic. We immediately asked him if there was anything we could do before next week - his answer: "no, we just have to wait it out" and call him if there is any bleeding...(again with the bleeding - NO BLEEDING, people).

So there you have it, my HCG number at 6 weeks was only 9477, which is apparently LOW and more importantly, indicative of a 103 hr doubling time, versus the 32 hr I was averaging 10 days prior. Nothing is definitive until Monday's ultrasound, but it doesn't look good.

Right now we are trying to stay positive (just in case this is a fluke, and the peanut is still in there), but its hard not to worry and obsess. Most of all, we are just so disappointed -- at this point, going back to the drawing board seems so disheartening...

15 comments:

  1. I can't believe the doctor would leave a message like that. I guess he was trying to prepare you for the worst, but it seems harsh.

    If it helps, my friend's doctor told her she was going to miscarry early on in her pregnancy based on her betas, leaving her a complete mess into her second trimester. As it turns out, the doctor was wrong. Her daughter is now 16 months old and perfectly healthy. Sometimes medical professionals forget how it all feels and zoom in on worst-case scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying that everything is ok. I'm sure your little peanut is doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best and warmest wishes to both of you and your peanut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sweetie. I am hoping hard for you that everything is OK. I wish that your doctor had told you in a gentler way, and I hope like crazy that he's wrong. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed with Pom that the doc needs to work on his delivery. I'll be thinking about you all and little peanut all day and hoping for some great and reassuring news. Try to remember that doctors are wrong ALL the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So incredible sorry that you had to experience that message and I can't believe anyone (especially a Dr) would think that was an appropriate way to deliver any information. Keeping you all in my thoughts and I agree that doctors are wrong all the time and tests can be faulty. Hoping Monday brings reassurance to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so sorry you had that scary message. And hoping hoping hoping that they're just being overly cautious. Thinking of you both and the peanut...Xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you have to "wait it until Monday' anyway, why would they leave your that message to suffer all weekend? That is SO mean.
    I'm glad you're staying positive though. Nothing is said and done yet. No bleeding means no miscarriage! Jeez. I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still hoping for the best. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a horrible message to leave - I'm so sorry your doctor is so insensitive. I'm thinking of you and hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi all,
    Thank you so much for your kind words and wishes. I will let you know how today goes - one way or the other!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you today and hoping you have good news to share.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That must have been a heartbraking message to get. You all are in my thoughts today. I will be hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh! I am sorry for such a crap delivery. I am hoping for the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh shit oh shit oh shit. i'm sure you are totally panicking. there's no other way to handle news like that. but it definitely doesn't sound like the deal is closed to me. i thought the numbers started to level off around now? and regardless, they are still going up, right? is your appt. today? report in soon and i am sending all of the best possible hope your way - don't give up hope!!!

    ReplyDelete