Sunday, April 4, 2010

April Fools

For some reason I have never liked April Fools Day. One of my best friends hates it also and says its because we are too trusting...Even as a kid, I remember trying to be 'clever' one year and swapping out the shampoo for honey, it didn't end with laughs, but instead a really, really upset mom...

That is all to say, that I wasn't too surprised when this year, April 1 rolled around and we were thrown for a not-so-fun loop. I went in to see Dr. G on Thursday before we were to head out to CA for the weekend of 'live' insemination's and of course some funky SF Easter-ness. After running my hormone levels Dr. G confirmed what I has suspected by several uneventful days of peeing-on-a-stix -- this cycle was going to be late, and there was no reason to go to CA. Instead, we would do tests Friday-Sat-Sunday-Monday and hopefully do two IUIs on Monday night and Tuesday. Boo!

Thus sparked a mad dash to cancel our flights, schedule 4 days of blood-work/ u/s at the fancy-fertility-clinic and make sure our bank in CA could ship the sperm THAT DAY, and of course, tell KD that we would not be spending a fun weekend looking for Easter eggs in Deloros Park...I think I must have been petty emotional to start off, because as soon as Dr. G gave me the news I burst into tears, and proceeded to cry during my conversations with a) the nice folks at Jet Blue, b) the nice lady at our bank..and well, pretty much everyone else I ran into on Thursday regardless of the topic of discussion. (hence why I didn't even consider posting until today!) It was all very irrational, but sometimes you need to have a really good, hard cry -- for several hours. Luckily my coworkers were all too polite to ask what was up and instead gave me muffins and reassuring looks - and I pretty much hid in my office all day :(

But..we move on, Friday we went to a fantastic seder with really really yummy food and great family friends and then yesterday christened the spring weather with a 50 mile cycle. Spring is here!

Now that we are entering the world of monitored cycles, I can share some details, not that they mean much to me. Yesterday's u/s indicated, lining=15, one foli on the right= 21, the foli seems to have grown to 23 by today and another smaller (10) popped up. I dont really know how to read those numbers, but the tech seemed feel that I would be on schedule for a Monday/Tuesday insem..

W and I were pretty bummed about the whole thing because we just don't have all that much faith in IUIs (in part because we never think we can get it in far enough), but..such is. For those of you who have had the pleasure of witnessing or doing an IUI, how far 'in' do you generally get the catheter? We never seem to get it in more than 3 inches before we feel a lot of resistance. I am not sure how long the os is, but it sounds like that's not far enough to go out the other end. We really like and trust our midwife, but even she confesses to not having done too many IUIs. Any advice?

I am so excited for all of the BFPs out there, and hoping we can ride the wave too! Yeah for Spring!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the upcoming IUIs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I can imagine how frustrating and anxiety inducing this all must have been. But hopefully your timing will be right on track for the IUI and this will be your one! We did lots of home insems but never with a catheter, so no advice on that. But good luck and I'll be thinking good baby thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to get my cervix measured every 2 weeks during this pregnancy, and it is consistently at 3.5cm, so I think getting the cathater in 3 inches should be fine. 3 inches should be getting you a good distance into the uterus. I think IUIs can get very tricky because it's all about precise timing, and some people's fertility signals just don't line up properly. I don't have a hell of a lot of faith in IUI either because I tried 8 without success. I hope the monitored cycles give you better insight into the best possible timing, and you get a BFP soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds incredibly frustrating. I hate when there's such a hard drop before you even get to the insem. But it sounds like you've got fabulous numbers and are right on track. It's hard to trust in something that's so hard to see, but I think you've got an excellent shot this cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck. good luck, good luck with the IUIs. Ah, the hoops we must jump through to inseminate ourselves! It's just mindboggling. Here's to this being your last round!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we did the IUI last cycle, the catheter was numbered, but not in inches. (At least, I don't think it was... now I wish I could go check. Oh well.) I do remember the naturopath saying that between 6 and 8 was standard, but I think that those numbers may, unfortunately, be somewhat akin to women's clothing sizes. (I.e. bearing no relation to any useful form of measurement.)

    So that probably doesn't help at all. On the other hand, if the catheter y'all are using has the same measurements, then between 6 and 8 of whatever is the usual norm.

    Bummer about the canceled trip, though. That sucks.

    ReplyDelete