IUI # 2 went off without a hitch (actually it was actually really, really quick and easy -- success was felt by all)..and now begins the TWW, which I am surprisingly looking forward to - in part because that is exactly what it is -- a wait. There is no stressing about timing, worrying about stix peeing or obsessively temping, just...waiting.
And now for the question - what do you all think about activity during the TWW?
I have heard a spectrum of responses - from 'go about your normal activity' to 'your heartbeat shouldn't go above 100 bpm' -- I am a generally active person - I run about 12 miles a week and cycle to and from work most days, so clock in 30-60 miles on my bike. During past TTW's I have sat on my hands, done some yoga and in general gotten really REALLY antsy. My acupuncturist says I should do what feels 'right' and Dr. G said I can be 'active' but don't run or cycle (?) which leaves me kind of confused.
So dear knowledgeable community - what do you think? What is the 'right' level of activity during a TWW? What have you heard? What you done? At this point, its just a matter of opinon, so...lets hear it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey ... I'm a lurker from the UK on this, and a lot of other similar blogs (have become fascinated with the whole process since my gf and I will start to work out how we increase our famly size in the next few years)
ReplyDeleteAnyway, i just wanted to say ... while i read this blog, something inside me told me that this would be your time! Maybe it's just your positivity, i don't claim to have any kind of ESP - but i just felt the need to tell you that i'm feeling good for your cycle 3!
Good luck vibes coming at you from Manchester! :)
Ugh! It's so frustrating with all the contradictory advioce out there!
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine what the issue with cycling is (too much pressure on the lady bits?) but during my tww I gave up my usual spin classes (which are intense and get my HR to 160 or 170) and running (because I am a lead foot and sometimes give myself a headache. I figured all that jostling can't be great.) But I still go to the gym 5 times a week and walk the dogs twice every day. I just stick to the elliptical and don't try to squat/bench press my weight.
That said, I didn't ask anyone (fearing contradictory advice) and just went about doing what seemed to make logical sense to me.
P.S. I hope Melanie is right! Good luck!
I always had this same question. My old RE laughed at me when I asked her about exercise and said "Don't." And I said "Not at all?!" and she said, "Light exercise," but then wouldn't define what that means.
ReplyDeleteI think watching your heart rate and not doing anything with lots of hard movements (like running) probably makes sense. I'm a big fan of the elliptical myself. If you're usually active I think it's likely better to stay that way. Ditto Schroe on doing what makes sense to you.
And PS - my word verification for my post was "queefyi" Hilarious!
ReplyDeleteGood question. Women can and do run during pregnancy so I'm not sure what the issue would be during the TWW. I've only read not to do more than you normally would. However, I think it is very different for IVF and that is where you hear of people resting.
ReplyDeleteI was very cautious during every TWW except the one when I got my BFP. I think letting go and not being stressed out is key so if exercising will make you feel good you should do it.
Hi all, thanks for your feedback -- and positive vibes. We are feeling really hopeful about #3 too!
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for delurking Melanie -- When I told W about your comment, she said "she sounds great, we need that kind of positive energy, invite her over for coffee" -- I guess the trek from Manchester would be a bit far :) but we love the sentiment!
We follow our acupuncturist's advice and Fern doesn't do much besides walking, easy yoga and some upper body work with light weights in the tww. She avoids anything jarring or rigorous or anything that makes her heart beat too fast. This is probably more than most people do, but at this point in our ttc journey we want to avoid absolutely anything that could possibly harm our chances.
ReplyDeleteGood luck figuring it out - there definitely isn't a clear answer on this out there.
I've run the gamut on this one - I ran a half-marathon during my 2nd TWW and spent a later TWW almost entirely on the couch. And from all that, I have no conclusions to draw! At the end of the day, my gut feeling is to keep up your normal activity level if that's what you feel like doing, only going more like 80% instead of 100%. Running a half-marathon when you're not used to running more than 3-5 miles? Probably not smart. Sitting on the couch for 2 weeks? Nothing has ever made me feel worse. Just don't make any big changes in your plan, I say, and try not to overheat.
ReplyDeleteTONS of positive energy coming your way!
Hi! I've been a lurker on your site for a little while now, but decided to "de-lurk"! :) Looks like we are on the same schedule -- my TWW began yesterday after IUI #1. Here's hoping for BFP's for both of us! I'm with 'ya on not knowing what to do during the TWW! One minute I'm thinking, "damn, I just coughed, did the egg fall out??" and then the next I'm thinking about all of the hetero ladies who have gotten accidentally pregnant and are out drinking, dancing, and living it up! I guess when your potential babies have cost so much money to create, it causes a person to be a little over-cautious! Hang in there!! :)
ReplyDeleteI've heard to avoid things that jostle too much, or are super strenuous, but I don't think that means you need to be a couch potato either. (Unless you really want a little quality couch time and just need the excuse, in which case I fully back your "better safe than sorry" approach. ;-) )
ReplyDeleteMy general thinking is that probably just aiming for maybe a little gentler than your normal routine is fine. I would think that big changes from what your body is used to would be more likely to cause a problem. On the other hand, if your norm is marathon training, then maybe ease up a bit.
Also, bear in mind that I have absolutely no first hand knowledge of any of this. Just offering what makes sense to me.
Hi all -- thanks for all of your comments, opinions and inklings..I settled on somewhere in between and will find a new love for walking, yoga (!!) and a short jog now and then if I get really cranky :)
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Hi! Delurking to put in my 2 cents. I just had an IUI yesterday and asked my doctor about this. She said to resume my normal activity, and specifically said that it was fine to go running that evening (she said "the sperm is already where it needs to be"). But like some of the other commenters said, I feel best by staying active, but easing up on the intensity.
ReplyDeleteExercise is fine. Exercise is bad. I've heard it all! What it ultimately comes down to is if you get a negative, will you think about that intense run and hold yourself responsible for it?
ReplyDeleteThat's what I kept on mind for all of my TWW's, including the ones for IVF. I didn't slow down much. I now have twins. Rest right after the IUI and then get back to your normal life and stay sane!