Monday, February 22, 2010

Timing is everything...

A pretty good adage, that applies to a lot of things, but NOTHING more than trying to get pregnant with frozen sperm...or so says our RE. Now that we have upped the ante, or in Olympics-speak the "level of difficulty" by switching from fresh to frozen, we decided to visit an RE and discuss a more 'proactive' approach. We still LOVE our midwife, and will be using her for our insems, but wanted to make sure that everything was 'working property' on my end (up until now, I have had no testing done, other then my annual OBGYN check-up and some preliminary bloodwork that showed that i was mildly anemic).

Armed with all of my Dr. Google and obsessive blog-reading knowledge, I came prepared to ask the Dr G (our RE) about trigger-shots, and progesterone (I have a somewhat short LP) and other tricks of the trade. My doctor's office is an east-meets-west sort of place (they have acupuncturists and yoga practitioners on staff) so I really wasn't sure if he was going to suggest raiki or clomid.

I guess his response was somewhere in between: Charts look good, nothing suspicious, but since we are using frozen, we were told to up the acupuncture to 2 - 3 x per week and start some pretty intense (aggressive according to W, obsessive according to me) monitoring. Blood tests 5 days leading up to ovulation and an ultrasound or two for good measure. He was keen on us using a midwife so that we have more flexible timing, and hopefully I will get to do my bloodwork at the local Fancy Fertility Factory, that is near my office and open 7 days a week! Apparently Dr G is a founding member of the place and pioneered natural-cycle IVF in the 80s..wow..

So we enter this brave new world of medical involvement. Our heads are spinning but we are excited for this cycle.

In other related news, I started peeing on a stick today! Let the games begin!

4 comments:

  1. I think it's very possible that we have the same doctor!

    Proactive is the way to go. I'm glad you're getting to do monitoring and still see your midwife for the insems. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great place to start a new change up in things. Also keeping the midwife on board also sounds smart. You've got everything lined up, now it's all about timing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh*

    The every day tests sound rough and useful at the same time. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, can we have a side email chat about the Factory? If you're interested in exchanging doc info and that sort of thing, hit me at breathedragon@gmail.com!

    ReplyDelete