Monday, February 15, 2010

Moving on to IUI #2..and a question for the masses..

The weekend of moping was fantastic. We spent about exactly 5 minutes moping and then moved right on to enjoyment -- the concert, the drive westward(ho!), and then a relaxing weekend in the mountains complete with cuddle-ly olympics-watching, small town coffeeshops and boardgames, and of course, lots and lots of cooking / eating.

Now, back in town, back to business. We called PRS tonight and ordered our vials for IUI #2.

And now a question for all of you 'experienced' IUIers out there. How many inseminations per cycle is ideal? We did two last time, but wished we had had one more vial for the day of/after ovulation, thus we were thinking of doing 3 insems this time around. Since the sperm is 'free' and we are doing the insems ourselves we figured we should do as many as possible, but when I was ordering our vials, the lab tech warned us not to disrupt the ose (spelling?) too much. hhmm, I'd never considered it, and since the process wasn't in the least painful, we figured we could follow the same protocol as with live sperm, the more the better, but..maybe not?

any thoughts? suggestions? 3 seems reasonable, right? 12 hours apart?

ok, now to catch up with google reader :)

6 comments:

  1. Both times we got pregnant we inseminated three times (an ICI and then two IUIs). I am all about doing as many inseminations each month as you can afford. Totally go for 3, twelve hours apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea because we can only afford to do one. They say the success rate of IUI is 25% each cycle and additional inseminations add 6% to your success rate. My RE recommends saving the extra cash for another cycle, so I can't really speak to how many is too many and at what point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New to your blog so please forgive me, I do not know your full history on how you are trying.
    We used Unknown FROZEN and wasted a bunch of money on doing 2 IUI/cycle until we switched clinics and our new RE said to just do 1. We got pregnant on our 9th try with a single IUI, 24 hours post HCG trigger and our second try with the new single IUI protocol. I'd be worried that 3 IUI may irritate your cervix.
    Since your sperm is FREE you have an $advantage$ I would probably add an ICI in at 12 hours. The ideal timing is to have the sperm WAITING for the egg. Inseminating after you have ovulated is somewhat futile - hence the reason we wasted sooo much money. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I just read your previous post re: lifespan of frozen. Our RE said 8-12 hours but also indicated that 90% of pregnancies that are successfully conceived with IUI are IUI prior to ovulation vs. 10% after ovulation. Therefore more bang for your buck if you can get the sperm there before ovulation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe do an ICI and two IUIs if you're worried about aggravating the ol' cervix? We did a couple rounds of doubles, but stopped because of the cost. How nice to have free sperm and a nice midwife! Glad you guys enjoyed your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the advice! I dont think we can do any ICIs this cycle as I am pretty sure that all of our sperm is washed. But next time BD goes in for a donation we'll ask them to leave some unwashed so we can add an IUI to the mix...Boo, I cant remember, did you guys trigger? What was your overall timing?

    ReplyDelete