Saturday, February 27, 2010

Blood & $$ - Aka Welcome to the Fertility Factory

As of 7:30 am we are officially heading down the path of medical intervention - and I have two words, blood(work) and money. As I said, we love Dr. G and we love his approach to better timing and "catching" the egg, but wow, we had no idea how much bloodwork and money was involved. It wasn't until Monday, after Dr. G scheduled 3 days of back to back blood tests and ultrasounds, that I finally called my insurance company to learn that I have NO -- as in NEVER -- fertility coverage. Which, yes, IS illegal in Mass, but since my policy is out of VA (where my company in HQed) there is not much I can do. The wonderful people at FertilyFactor (FF) tried to find a way around the issue, but unfortunately, once they learned that this was only our second IUI, it was moot, since we cant be deemed 'infertile' based on 3 at-home, turkey-baster attempts and 1 IUI. Oh well, its disappointing to realize that we can never ever get covered -- at least under my policy but W has a pretty good plan through her school so if we do decide to go further down this road then I could probably switch to her policy.

Anyways, I digress..I really appreciate how efficient the FF is, getting you in and out in 10 minutes, and how friendly the people are (chipper at 7:30am on a Saturday, no less), but there was also something depressing about how crowded it was. FF is open 7 days a week and sees hundreds of couples, all attempting to use science to do something that just isn't all that scientific. I am not someone who regularly thinks about a higher-being, (although I am 100% superstitious, so maybe I do), but I am now starting to come to terms with how much random luck plays a part in actually getting you pregnant. I don't mean to say that timing isn't important or that a medical approach can't give fate a little push, but there is some element of dumb luck that both amazes and frustrates us. I think we are both feeling really optimistic about this cycle, but also overwhelmed by the uncertainty. Its ironic, as we will have more information this cycle then ever before (blood tests and ultrasounds), but once you learn about how much you can monitor, you learn about how much you _can't_ control.

We have the midwife on stand-by, so it should be a fun next few days.

2 comments:

  1. I wish there was an easy way to do this, and I wish you much luck with the medical fork of this journey.

    As for your comment about the known donor, I wasn't feeling enthusiastic about what I wrote and I took it down. I do appreciate your input though. If we get serious about that option, I'll definitely ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the cost of all that monitoring out of pocket is sobering. And I totally relate to the feeling that more data doesn't always equal more control. In a way, I think I used to feel in better control when we were blindly inseming at home with our KD. At least I used to worry about less.

    I hope these new methods bring you fast success!

    ReplyDelete