another question for those with sleep advice -- we are about to start "sleep training" -- or maybe Sleep Training..(depending on how epic it turns out to be or really, who trains who...).
but first a quick question for those who have any advice to share -- we currently have Izzy in a swaddle. We have been trying to ween her off of it in the past week in preparation for the S.T. so that she could have her hands to suck (she is VERY orally fixated and pretty much will only fall asleep while sucking). But in the past two days have talked to friends who not only advocate for keeping the swaddle (its really cuddley for her) but swore by the miracle blanket (ultimate swaddle) as their secret to success. If we went that route, we would HAVE to continue to use a paci. She hasn't fully adopted her hands yet, so for falling asleep we will probably need to use it for the short term anyways, but we were hoping if she had access to her fingers she would use them if she woke up during the night. She certainly sleeps better swaddled but we figured that transition was all apart of learning to self-sooth.
any thoughts -- to swaddle or not?
thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We "half swaddled" Sadie, which was swaddling from the chest down with her arms out. We used "swaddle me" blankets from TRU but I think they are similar to the miracle blanket. We did this until she was 8 months old and then switched to grobags. It was a best of both worlds kind of situation for us. She liked her hands free but her legs restrained.
ReplyDeleteWhat kind of soothed are you using? We were using the soothie (round
Green one) but switched to playtex binkies because we found they stayed in better and didn't pop out as easily. I'm personally not a fan of thumb/finger sucking and we've actually tried to discourage it. I personally sucked my thumb until I was 14 yo and had to get 5k worth of orthodontics to fix my overbite. I figure weaning a soothed is easier than trying to take away a finger n(;
hm. Ryan HATED the swaddle. Even when he was in the hospital. We did sleep training and it has worked wonders for him. I would say no swaddle, only because you want her to be able to sooth herself and being all wrapped I think it would be hard for her. But, this is coming from someone who never used one.
ReplyDeleteSoother... not soothed. Auto correct =P
ReplyDeleteI am BEGGING you not to show her her thumb!!!! Please! The pacifier is much easier to ween off of than the thumb. I did that and now I have a 4 and 5 year old, who both suck their thumbs. :-(
ReplyDeleteG hated being swaddled (though we "half-swaddled" him for a while) but he is very happy in a sleep sack. Have you tried those?
ReplyDelete