Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 5 - Do it big or stay in bed...

This is the quote that my mom would write on some random object pretty much every year for me. One year, when I was in college, she wrote it on a piece of drift wood from the beach and mailed it to me in VT. I loved it, and still have it on my bedside table to this day....This is all to say, that on my birthday, I LOVE doing something exciting. I have always loved to give and get what I call "doing presents" -- be that tickets to a show or just a long walk on the beach. My birthday is in December so since we have lived in the east, that has meant more in-door activities - like a concert at our local folk venue, a weekend get-away or maybe just dinner at a fun new restaurant. One year a good friend of ours gave us trapeez lessons for my birthday -- we didnt do it on my birthday exactly, but it was pretty awesome. Another year, this same friend gave us a glass blowing class, now THAT was awesome - and we got to take home an assortment of home-made paperweights!

I have NO idea what we will be doing this year (W and I have birthday's pretty close to each other - between Thanksgiving and Christmas so there is always a lot of chaos even without a baby). We don't really "do" birthday presents, but instead find some useful, yet generally random item that the other one loves (hi-lighers or tea bags) and write however many years that person is turning number of things we love about them on the objects. Its fun to come up with so many (some meaningful, some funny) things to say, and at the end of it all, we have a years supply of tea....or hi-lighters...

3 comments:

  1. great philosophy. your mom sounds amazing! i generally live by "just jump" and "have a scary day" (which is a little modified from eleanor's original quote but whatever), but i think i'll add this one to get-me-out-of-bed-mantras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog and - though I had cut myself off from new ones - it's brought me a lot of joy this morning, so I think I'll stick around. I couldn't possibly comment at this point on all of the posts I love, so I'll just say here that I ADORE the idea of "doing presents" (I sort of hate obligatory gifts, and this offers language with which to subvert the necessity of those). Also, I first read the bit about a "glass blowing class" as a "glass BOWLING class." I then spent a good thirty seconds contemplating the disastrous possibilities THAT sport might entail. Blowing it sounds much better. :)

    RLG

    P.S. We're due January 23rd, so it's super neat to see all the stuff you three were doing (stages you were at) at various points last year.

    ReplyDelete