Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A *flare* for the dramatic....

After a weekend of disappointment and much discussion of body switching and the emotions tied to it, we met with Dr H today and we are back.on.the.wagon. -- and with gusto.

W starts birth control tomorrow. She will be on the lupron micro-flare protocol (for those of you playing at home), which will hopefully reduce the suppression of her LH/E2 and, importantly, allow us to easily complete the cycle in the next 6 weeks before we head out of town!!! Did we mention how much we love Dr. H...yes, we luuuuve her.

We also learned some stats about the last cycle that made us feel more hopeful that this process could actually result in success. First, 7 of her 8 eggs had fertilized (not 4 as they had reported) but 3 of them had fertilized "abnormally" with 2+ sperm in each. (shockingly, that doesnt mean twins). Somehow knowing that almost all of them fertilized, makes us feel more confident that her little eggs can do this! With this knowlege and a new protocol, we are feeling (naively) better about our chances this next round. Most of all, we are just relieved that we can give W one more try before we have to make a hard decision. If this doenst work out, then we will probably re-visit the idea of fresh/live cycles in CA this summer for me, but at least we will have given it another try AND used the remaining insurance funds :)


7 comments:

  1. Hooray! That seems like a great choice for your family. I am glad that you doctor is so amazing and you have the resources to try again. Best, best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for dr. h!! so glad you're going to do another round before you leave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! That's great that you were able to figure out another try for W. And it does sound like there's good odds that this will work and you won't have to worry about figuring out all of the other options.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting!! When are you leaving? Maybe we can meet up before you go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really glad to hear that you have a plan for moving forward. I was initially heartbroken over my first failed IVF, but felt a bit better after I realized how much the doctors learned about my (in)fertility as a result. They changed my protocol a bit, and the next cycle was a success. Wishing you the best of luck with the upcoming cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you have a good, hope-inducing plan to move forward!

    (I'm often not able to comment, since I get very little time at a device that plays nicely with blogger, but I am following along and thinking of you a lot. I'm so sorry the first IVF cycle wasn't the last.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you have a new plan and that you feel better about it. Even with IVF it sadly often takes more than once. Very excited for you guys to try again!

    ReplyDelete