Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sugary Sweetness...and more advice needed!

So today was the dreaded Glucose Test -- as I have mentioned, I am still pretty nauseous in the morning and the sweeeeeeeetness coupled with fact that the "juice" made Pluty go CRAZY, made the 58 minutes between when I finished the drink and when I could down more of my breakfast pretty miserable. Hopefully I will call tomorrow morning to learn that all is well, and that I don't have to do THAT again..During the 10 second doppler scan our midwife noticed a slight arrhythmia (or maybe it was the fact that the dopper is not all that great and the baby was doing handsprings) so we get to go in next week for an ultrasound to make sure everything is ok with her heart. I am trying not to be nervous about it (I too had a heart-murmur as a kid), but its always "scary" when things don't come back totally, completely "normal" -- ha -- whatever that means...The midwife assured us that it was nothing to be concerned about, and W was just thrilled that we would get another peak at her... but...any one out there have this experience? Any reassuring words would be great...

And in other "advice" column-ness, I am wondering if you wise mothers of newborns - or others who have thought about this can weigh in. We are trying to schedule a Naming Ceremony for Pluty a few weeks after she is born. We want to stem the tide of relatives and other non-immediate friends from descending on us in the first few days after she is born, so decided to advertise this date as a "good time to come and meet her." Are we crazy to think that about 2 1/2 weeks after she arrives we will be ready for visitors? What have you all done about non-local family and other close friends who want to visit? Most importantly we are trying to figure out what we should do about the timing KD's visit. He is really respectful about "our" time with the baby after she arrives, but I know that he is really excited to be here in the thick of it all. Since he would be flying across the country, I expect that he would want to come for at least 3-5 days. Should we try to hold off most visitors, including him, until after the first two weeks? What is a "good" length of only mommy-mama-baby bonding?

4 comments:

  1. "Are we crazy to think that about 2 1/2 weeks after she arrives we will be ready for visitors?"

    NO, Jewish Brit Bat ceremonies occur during the first week of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter, too, had a slight heart murmur in utero and it came to nothing. They are very rarely a problem.

    It is so hard to know how you're going to feel after the birth about visitors and you may totally surprise yourself. I am highly social and outgoing and I was shocked to realize that I wanted no one, NO ONE, to hold the baby but me and I wanted everyone to go away and I was really in need of solitude with my wife and kids for weeks...my wife, who is very introverted, wanted to run around the outside world at four days after birth and show the baby to everyone, even strangers...build as much flexibility into things as you can. Invite people for an hour but make it possible for them to drop by later if you are suddenly feeling social...also know that babies are different. Your baby may love seeing others and being held by different people or she may have a nervous meltdown from way too much stimulation, oh yes...even at two weeks.

    wishing you the very best...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, but I'm sort of wondering about the same question on the visitors front. I think it's especially difficult if some of the people in question are likely to be traveling extensive distances. I mean, it's hard to tell someone who has just flown cross-country that "it's great of you to come visit and all, but that was your hour and now you need to go". So I don't know what the answer is, especially given that you won't necessarily know how you'll feel after the baby is born until... well, after the baby is born.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those dopplers are so staticky and jarring...I'm guessing that her heart is just fine. Nice that you get to have another peek at her! I miss ultrasounds.

    I, personally, like my guests to leave after 2 or 3 nights, and we are talking sans baby, but that's just me! As far as having a "party" a couple of weeks after she's born, I think that sounds like a nice alternative to having people dropping in in a constant stream if that's something you'd like to avoid. It's nice that you have so many friends and loved ones who want to be a part of the celebration!

    ReplyDelete