Things continue to be wonderfully uneventful in these parts. As we close in on the 10-more-week-mark..we are starting to think more concretely about the reality (and excitement!!) of our impeding arrival.
After caving to the pressure, we decided to let our gracious parents host us a shower the weekend after Thanksgiving so we finally got around to putting together and vetting (with several friends who have little ones) a wish-list/registry. The theme of the shower is "books" so we are hoping most folks bring some of their childhood favorites so we can add to her already 3+ shelf library of board books/poems and fairy tales.
And...through all of this planning, we keep circling back to the discussion of 2 versus 4 breasts. We have heard from _several_ friends (straight and gay) how demanding, and positively wonderful, breast feeding is. We even know of some "crazy lesbians" who have taken the approach of 2 mommies = 4 breasts...and were wondering if it was worth giving it a shot....Anyone out there have any experience going the quad-breast route? We are in the VERY EARLY research stages so any and all thoughts, opinions and "how to guides" are welcome..
In other news, Happy Turkey Day (my favorite holiday of the year -- nothing beats 32 of us around the table chowing down on yumminess and playing endless rounds of cards - for the past few years W's immediate family has joined our famous family tradition making its an even more fantastic holiday weekend)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
for lots of co-nursing thoughts, check out first time second time: http://firsttimesecondtime.com/
ReplyDeletelucky baby, to already have so many books!
I'm intrigued by your question. We've briefly mentioned this in passing, but need to look into it.
ReplyDeleteWhen we brought up the idea of both of us bfing --I decided that I didn't want to do it. I'm not sure why, I guess I just didn't really understand the bond, the wonder and how amazing bfing acutally is.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had done it. At Laurie's hardest times I wish I could of just taken Ryan and fed him too, or in the middle of the night when I knew she was so very tired.
It's truly an amazing thing to do for baby and mommy. (...both mommies!)
My partner and I both BF our baby, it was a pretty easy yet teddious process. The best information I found was on http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation.html
ReplyDeleteI was the non bio mother and knew I would stay home with our daughter as soon as Ash went back to work so it really worked for us for me to also BF. Ash took most weekends and early morning feeds and she pumped and pumped and pumped every 3 hours around the clock to keep me in a full supply because I was never able to completly bring in a full supply.
I was afraid that I wouldn't have that deep mother bond that my wife would have and I wanted it so badly and we found a way to make it work. Shoot me an email if you want any more info, i'll be happy to talk to you about it.
I wish I could convince Rose to do this, but she thinks it's "weird." I do not think it's weird. I think it's awesome. And I have hope that I will still have milk by the time #2 comes around, since Rose is going to start trying pretty soon...looking forward to your report!
ReplyDeleteA friend pointed me to your blog since we are currently co-nursing our 6 month old. It has been a wonderful experience! We used the Newman-Goldfarb protocol which is linked to above on the AskLenore site. Important to note that if you are going to successfully induce a milk supply, it's best to start early (ie NOW!) :)
ReplyDeletefirsttimesecondtime.com is also a great resource for one couples perspective on co-mothering and co-nursing.
So basically I'm just reiterating what others have already commented, but one other thing to note is that even without the presence of milk, comfort nursing can be a wonderful bonding experience and powerful way to comfort your baby, and it in itself can bring in at least some milk. :)
After reading "The Other Mother", I decided I wanted to attempt co-breastfeeding. Many writers in the book talked about the deep bond that is formed during breastfeeding and I wanted to have that experience as the nongestational parent.
ReplyDeleteI am Melissa's partner (commented above). I am soo glad I induced lactation. It is the best way to comfort my daughter and works great to get her to sleep. The bond I have formed with her is so much stronger. I can not imagine not being able to nurse her. Melissa can leave and not worry about how long she is gone. I can take shifts at night, so she is not so tired. Plus, we make so much milk that we are able to donate the surplus to other babies.
ReplyDelete