Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dare I say it..

16 weeks and throwing-up has ended? I have had some bouts of gagging in the morning and am still having trouble with some foods, but Ive been feeling pretty *fantastic* for the past few days. I have a lot more (still by no means am I categorizing this as "a ton") of energy during the day. I go to bed at 9:30 and I wake up pretty zippy. And I seem to be getting back into the swing of actually getting work done at work during the day (how novel!). I think I might even (gasp!) go to the gym this weekend -- its been WAY too long -- but I now feel like I have some extra energy to burn....

We are still keeping a running tab of the hilarious and inappropriate questions we've gotten as we continue to share the news. We have now developed a pretty solid technique of "shaming" the person into not asking anything too crazy, by quickly launching into past horror stories. You can see the look on their face as they realize the question that was just about to come out of their lips is no better than what we are mocking.... but, hey, its stopped the snooping*.

*Now I should say, we are by no means NOT happy to talk about our approach. We generally do, openly indicate that we used a known-donor, who is a close friend of ours and will not be co-parenting. If asked specifically, we do reveal that we used the ol' "turkey baster" approach, etc. And are happy to go into the gory details for any potential TTC couples. But, its when people we don't really know all that well decide to pry further, asking for his identify ("I know him, right") or start asking more personal questions about our expectant family dynamics and legal situation that we usually put the kibosh on the questioning. Its not that we aren't open to sharing, or educating inquiring minds, but not to folks who think of this info more as gossip then because they really care to understand.

Anyways, I know that I owe you all a belly pic and I promise I'll take one this weekend. I think I've finally gotten to the point where my little bump is noticeable, and even to those who are not really, really searching for it!

7 comments:

  1. Hooray for gag-free mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear your energy is coming back! That must be such a relief. Good to hear how you're dealing with the inquiring minds issue. I hope we'll be in that same boat too some day soon and it's nice to hear how other folks deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo..congrats on getting past the throwing up stage! And on finding a technique to shut people up when necessary (and saving them some dignity in the process)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. reading your post gives me hope. I am looking forward to the day that I feel the way you do. Gym?? I wish I had the energy to just pay the bills. I just want to be normal again. Just to tired and sick. I am not looking forward to those questions. How do you respond, when you will not answer the question? Do you change the subject or do you say we are not sharing that info?

    So happy for you not being sick, but a bit jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the second trimester! You get to feel like a person again. Maybe not super refreshed (I never got that energy surge)but now you can really start to enjoy.
    Let's see that baby bump!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for the lessening nausea!

    And at least for me, how much I'm willing to share about the specifics of our situation depends on who is asking, and why.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm...I hadn't really thought of that issue of using a known donor - your friends wanting to know who it is and assuming they know him, and all the guessing that must ensue. I imagine that must be frustrating for the "gossip" factor.

    Congrats on the end of the puking! 2nd trimester is muuuuch more fun. Can't wait for your belly shot.

    Are you at Mt. Auburn btw?? If so we should meet up at one of the "meet the midwives" meetings!

    ReplyDelete