Monday, September 9, 2013

Fall in the air

Ive been thinking about writing a post but...dont know what to say. Im thrilled that I dont have any pregnancy drama to report and there is so much amazing-ness on the Izzy front, I dont know where to start.

After a whirl wind (exhausting) trip to Greece, school started for W and Iz last week. W's week included falling asleep several nights before 8pm (man, she is TIRED) but Izzy has responded with unbridled enthusiasm. We thought the transition back to school after 10 weeks away and new teachers would be hard, but she is thrilled to back with her friends. We thought she had forgotten all of her Spanish, but after 2 days back at school she is already pointing out objects using both English and Spanish and correcting my pronunciation (damn you, kid!). Our bike ride through the brisk morning air reminds me that Fall is coming.

It must have happened over the last several months so gradually that we didnt notice but somehow our toddler turned into a little girl. She is a willing partner on adventures, "helpful" with some chores and able to hold up her end of a conversation. My favorite, is that she is totally into pretend. If I say, Im thirsty, she will magically pull out a cup of water and serve it to me or is she is bored while running errands, will pull out her pretend markers and start drawing. She creates elaborate "houses" for her babies and talks them through nap routines and mealtime drama. Thank you Montessori (or 2.5 year old brain development) for teaching this kid how to play independently! She can spend 20 minutes rocking, dressing-redressing and putting her animals to sleep, only to do it again as soon as they "wake-up" seconds after falling asleep. She is into making up silly rhyming songs, books that actually have a plot (so long, Boyton!) and counting everything in sight. She will tell anyone in ear shot that her favorite color is yellow and then identify every visible object of that color. Yellow cars, especially of the sport variety are a show stopper - yikes! Eye-spy and hide-and-seek are games that can actually be played correctly and she actually dribbled the ball.... towards the goal at soccer "practice' this weekend. I mean, wow! The more I get to know this little amazing person, the more I am in love with her, and our family.

Here is snap from her first day of school.... 

and carbo-loading before practice...




4 comments:

  1. Happy first day of school, Izzy! Isn't this weather glorious?! Give me a heads up when you head out to apple pick this year because chances are you'll be around our way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so adorable! It's full on fall here, and I love it, even though it signals the descent into snow and darkness, ha. I remember those days of falling asleep before 8:00! Much harder with a kid to tend to, I'm sure. Happy fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that back to school outfit! And the idea of independent play...Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is SO darned cute.

    Hurry up and run into me at the midwives', I've only got 4 appointments left!

    ReplyDelete