Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Timing is everything -- and it sucks!

As I may have mentioned, W had the picture-perfect 28 day cycle before we started TTCing. She suspected as much and we did 2 "preview" cycles to confirm, but when we actually got around to our first "real" cycle (ie with sperm), she ovulated late (day 16 or 17), which bumped her cycle length to 30-31 days. Still totally "normal" but she was annoyed that it would mean a few extra days between tries. I was ecstatic because it meant that our timing would line up PERFECTLY with our trip out west (aka access to fresh sperm), allowing us 2 leisurely cycles of trying in the 7 weeks we were out there. BUT, somehow the stress (or not-stress) during last cycle created a VERY VERY short cycle (also explains why we missed ovulation, it was on day 11 or 12!!) and thus our timing is going to be very very tight for June. Either she will ovulate 3 days before we leave (double boo!), the day we arrive (tricky, but doable) or the day after (best-case, given the circumstances), depending on whether its a "normal" short or long cycle for her. Either way, Im really bummed as I wanted the few days of pre-ovulation insemination that was supposed to be our June cycle, as thats what ended up working for me. I know that we will still have the July cycle, but I was counting on having BOTH June and July (greedy, I know!).  UGG, timing is so hard BECAUSE YOU CANT CONTROL IT!!

Other than the annoyance and frustrations of TTC, life is amazing. W finished the semester and is ramping up for a summer of dissertation writing. The house is often filled with smells of home-baked cookies and hot-glue (craft projects). Its starting to get warm in a New Englandy sort of way, but not full-on heat of summer (which I hate) and now that its light until 9pm I have so much more energy in the evenings. Iz is talking up a storm, the new cutest words include "peesze" and "tank do" (repeated endlessly until you say "your welcome" -- which somehow defeats the purpose, but oh well) and W's personal fav - "diaper" - said with perfect pronunciation and often yelled about 10 seconds before she squats down for a poop. We've decided to pull out the little potty and she is obsessed with it. She carries it around the house and sits on it to poop (with a diaper on) even though it lacks the excitement of toilet paper "stuffing" (her fav part of the adult potty experience is ripping the paper and stuffing it in toilet - wiping is lost on her and being the hard-core environmentalists we are, we limit her to one square :) -- Anyways, fun times, folks -- the refined manners of please/thank you coupled with tons of potty-talk!

In other news that I dont think I've shared, we are moving Izzy to the toddler room at a preschool in the Fall. We made the decision months ago when we were having issues with our home-daycare and while we still feel great about the new place (Spanish-immersion, great director, great programing, near our house, etc), we are getting sad (for Izzy) about leaving her friends and community. The past few months have been great and she is so attached to the primary caregiver and her multi-aged friend group, I wonder if we are making a mistake to move her. I love that she interacts daily with a 3 year old and 3-month old. She loves babies and considers herself a "big" kid. Because I am the queen of second-guessing, I try not to focus too much on it (plus, we already pre-paid for the 2012-2012 school year!).

Decisions, decisions....


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you guys are going to have no trouble potty training! Gray also says "poop!" right before he poops. I'm hoping it means he'll be easy too. So sorry about all the timing screw ups. It is VERY frustrating. Hang in there, W.

    ReplyDelete