I am not generally one to take medical advice by consensus, but since it seems even my PCP and midwife disagree, I thought I would reach out to this wise group for some feedback.
What are folks thoughts on the flu vaccine? I had never gotten it before last year, but with the whole H1N1 and TTC, both W and I decided to get "shot." And now there seems to be some debate between my PCP and the midwives as to weather I should get it again. What have others done? (as a bit of background, I do generally get one good cold a winter, and even did last winter, despite the shot).
And a more immediate question. I am 90% sure that I am suffering from more "expressive" then usual allergies (a the joys of pregnancy) but I have been waking up with a bad sore throat and pretty "snotty" lately. What are folks thoughts on zinc? other cold/allergy remedies?
....if only tums solved all of my problems...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glad you posted this. I'm trying to make the same decision about the flu shot. I don't like that they've mixed in H1N1 now. Plus, I'm considering the whooping couch vaccine. It's just all the preservatives they add in that make me leary...
ReplyDeleteAs for the cold, I've had 2 during the pregnancy so far. Not much helps I'm afriad. I just stick to honey cough drops and saline spray. Sudafed can be taken also, but only in really miserable situations. And NOT in the 1st trimester.
My IVF doc was adamant that I get both flu shots last year. He said it was perfectly safe during pregnancy. I have to say, though, I'm not into the idea now that I am pregnant - so I'll be curious to see what you find out. What did your midwives say? (I love that they are so suspicious of medications at Mt A, but I also had to beg and plead for life-saving Prevacid AND a much needed local Cortisone shot, so they've been very, very conservative in my experience...)
ReplyDeleteRuby, its funny, the midwives were PRO shot and my hippy-dippy alternative-med PCP was ANTI..I guess that should answer my question since they are the once who specilize in all things baby :)
ReplyDeleteI have been doing the saline and honey approach, thanks 2C1H...
Last year, my cousin contracted H1N1 when she was 8 months pregnant. She was in the hospital for about two weeks before the doctors delivered her daughter via C-section. My cousin died 2 days later from multiple organ failure.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if the shot would have saved her, but I honestly think her ob/gyn clinic was way too lax. She went in twice with flu-like symptoms and they just said "fluids and bed rest" even though there was a new flu strain killing people (especially pregnant women!). Ridiculous.
If you don't get the shot, I'd just make sure you were super cautious and if you DO get symptoms, make sure you're docs take it seriously and give you medications (which they probably will since last years epidemic was so awful).
i'm very confused that any health provider would advise you NOT to get the shot, especially since you're out of the first tri.
ReplyDeletei got mine on tuesday.
Jeez, now I'm definitely getting the shot.
ReplyDeleteJust had my "anatomy scan" yesterday and the OB asked if I wanted the flu shot while I was there -- apparently they had just recently arrived. Anyways, I decided to get one and thought the benefits outweigh any potential risks. Make sure to get the "thimerosal free" version if 'ya can!
ReplyDeleteFirst time on your blog - congrats on your pregnancy! I got the H1N1 vaccine last year when I was about 5 or 6 months pregnant with my son (now 9 months). I would definitely do it.
ReplyDeleteIt's a good decision that you and W have decided to take the shot, you must be as careful as possible with the little one on the way. Also make sure that you are getting all your "pregnancy" vitamins in order :) all the best wishes!
ReplyDeleteI would incline towards getting the shot, myself. I'm planning to get it this year (I think the yearly flu vaccine this year includes H1N1, but I could be wrong), and I believe PB is as well. Normally I'm kind of hit or miss on the matter, since I'm generally healthy, and for the most part the flu isn't the end of the world. BUT, being pregnant (or having a pregnant partner) or having an infant ups the risk factor quite a bit. I've heard a few too many thing about the flu causing severe complications in pregnant women for me not to think the shot is worth it. Just my two cents, though. :-)
ReplyDeleteI declined to get any of the flu vaccines while pregnant but got them immediately after I delivered (both flu and H1n1). I was very nervous about getting them with baby inside. I was VERY careful about washing hands constantly, never touching my face, staying away from anyone with any symptom during pregnancy. That being said, I might choose to take the vaccine if I had to do it over again b/c I now sort of feel like none of these things are as make or break as they felt to me when I was pregnant. If you don't get it, be super super cautious. My doula didn't believe in getting vaccine and ended up with H1N1 on the day of our delivery so couldn't be there...
ReplyDelete