Tonight we load up the sta-wagon and all 5 1/2 of us (Me, W, Iz, Bubbe, Zadie and our dog Thali) are headed to NYC. We will spend the holiday with W's extended family and then catch a flight to CA on the morning of the 26th to do the whole thing again with my family.
I love love love being in the City this time of year. Its the lights, and the holiday windows, and the smell of the subway in cold weather (wet wool and soggy newsprint). I like to check-in on all my favorite bakeries/cafes/bookstores-- and re-live the glory of the two years I lived there after college. Except instead of sharing a shoe-box sized apartment with 2 other recent grads, we house-sit for one of W's swanky college roommates with a full activity center/playroom on the first floor and beautiful views of the river. Izzy was a bit too young last year to really get excited about both Christmas and the City, but given her glee of Hanukkah I think she is going to love it!
NYCers -- a bit of advice. We have free access to the Brooklyn and Manhattan Children's museums, which is better? We were thinking of checking out the Botanical Garden and Zoo...other "must not-misses?"
Happy Holidays!
I love love love being in the City this time of year. Its the lights, and the holiday windows, and the smell of the subway in cold weather (wet wool and soggy newsprint). I like to check-in on all my favorite bakeries/cafes/bookstores-- and re-live the glory of the two years I lived there after college. Except instead of sharing a shoe-box sized apartment with 2 other recent grads, we house-sit for one of W's swanky college roommates with a full activity center/playroom on the first floor and beautiful views of the river. Izzy was a bit too young last year to really get excited about both Christmas and the City, but given her glee of Hanukkah I think she is going to love it!
NYCers -- a bit of advice. We have free access to the Brooklyn and Manhattan Children's museums, which is better? We were thinking of checking out the Botanical Garden and Zoo...other "must not-misses?"
Happy Holidays!
We are big fans of the Prospect Park zoo. It's a very small and sweet zoo- not a lot of animals but wonderful for a two year old. Will goes nearly every week and especially enjoys feeding the ducks and the farm animals. Have a fabulous time in NYC!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy! That sounds great!
ReplyDeleteWe also love the PP Zoo in Brooklyn. We go at least 2 times a month and it's very toddler/preschooler friendly.
ReplyDeleteI've been to both Children's Museums--we have season's passes--and the Manhattan one is great, but crowded. The Brooklyn museum was just as nice, if not nicer, and much more spacious. Plus, you cannot eat in the Manhattan one (not a single morsel of anything, you have to go outside!) but the Brooklyn one has a cafe and it's not a problem.
Have a great time!
We went to the Botanical Garden train show last week and the boys LOVED it.