Thursday, November 7, 2013

Public Debut - 24w

Always a lover of tradition, I looked back at my post from 24 weeks and read how I experienced my first public recognition as a pregnant women. In a similar mode, W "outed" herself to her students on Tuesday. The bug-bump was getting too big to hide under baggy or open-cut sweaters. Her class clapped, some showed shock and others smiled, indicating that they had known for weeks. Now that she is fully in *real* maternity shirts (you know, the tight-fitting ones that actually accentuate your belly) she is one beautiful pregnant mama.Still struggling with some morning gagging, but getting into her stride.

We have been talking A LOT about names as we are so torn between choosing an "honor name" versus one we really love. Both W and I have long family traditions with our names (which I love, and she sort of hates) and Izzy's full name (the 28th or so in our family) obviously didnt help us break the habit. I want bug to have the same weighty history behind his initials,  but we just can't find a J name that we love, so we have been exploring other names. Once you open the door with no parameters, there are so.many.great names, now we are overwhelmed by all of the choices! Izzy has done her part by suggesting, a la hotdog, Yogi ("so that I can feed him yogurt, you feed babies yogurt, mommy"). Maybe we aren't ready to go that far outside our naming traditions just yet, but....who knows....


2 comments:

  1. Have you considered using an honor name as a middle name, or even a first name, but calling lil guy by his middle name (a name you love)? I know quite a few boys with first names that they don't use, but were given in honor of relatives. Or, you know, you could just call him Yogi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to delurk just this once to offer a J name- my 15 year old son is named Jardin, it is French and it means garden. Not sure if that helps
    Michele

    ReplyDelete