Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ode to POOP

As new parents we talk about poop all.the.time so its a bit gratuitous to celebrate it so much BUT just in case this is useful knowledge to anyone else out there, I thought I would share why we, especially, love poop so much...

WARNING: this post is all about poop. If you are the kind of person who doesn't like excessive discussion of poop, you might want to skip it

For the last 6-8ish weeks Izzy has really really struggled with tummy issues. We thought it was completely gas-related as that is "common" for babies her age. For some reason it did not occur to us that the issue could be constipation. From what I had heard it was normal for exclusively breastfed babies to go five days without pooping so when we didnt see a lot of poop we didn't worry. We would hear other new parents talk about poop explosions and just figured that we had lucked out with the cloth diapers. The small smears of Izzys poop seemed to absorb right into the fleece!! Lucky us...

Then I took her to acupuncture (where they love to talk about poop) and later confirmed with her doctor that she should be pooping a bit more than she was -- thus we started the prune juice and more regular acupuncture. Four days into our poop-once-a-day routine, we have dropped the gas drops and dramatically reduced the gripe water intake. She is now regularly* sleeping 10 hour stretches at night and no longer writhes in pain throughout the day....

I have never been so excited to find a poop explosion (they will get old fast, I'm sure) and all we can say around here is HOORAY FOR POOP...


* regular as in 5 days in a row, we are not counting on a baby that regularly sleeps until 7:45am, but we will ride this trend as long as we can...

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, we understand the perpetual poop conversation! Glad you've found some relief (sorry) with Izzy's tummy discomfort. Poor little thing was all stopped up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad izzy's poop is explosively normal these days! :)

    ReplyDelete